Sunday, January 06, 2008

Sorry for my absence

I've had one of those days in which at the end, I feel like grabbing onto something sharp and point-like and doing a downwards stabbing motion. It was like hell in my place of employ, and the weather had not set my mood up for a great day, neither did my impending return to classes tomorrow. We were swamped nearly the entire day, and I felt bad for my co-worker who was clearly not feeling well.


I hate the new year at my job. New year brings into my humble shop many of the following:
  1. People who have realized they spent infinitely more on holiday spending then they should have and are trying to compensate by selling their stuff to get money. These folks are often found calling us or coming into the store giving us sob stories about owing rent or some other expense. I have empathy, but at the same time it is not my fault you had poor financial planning skills. Your Ace of Base CD is not worth $10, no matter how much whining you employ. Sorry, that is just the way it is.
  2. Those who have made a new year's resolution to clean out closets, curios, boxes, shelves, etc. This is the Purging type, and I understand their plight, as I tend to be like them. They always come in with bags of stuff when I already have 4 purchases on the go.
  3. People with tons of crazy Christmas money and are going on buying sprees, asking for a boatload of items.
  4. People who are just plain angry and bitter after the holidays and are trying to drown their sorrows in media purchasing.
The last two I'm not necessarily opposed to because they provide a nice chunk of our sales in the retail doom that is January, but sometimes they just make days like today a bitch because I kept getting swept up into another purchase or the like.

First thing this morning as I'm alone in the store, this couple who I labeled White-Collar trailer trash (no visible trailer-qualities, but one you heard them talk and what they were selling, you just knew) came in to sell. As I was ringing in the purchase for this couple(whom were annoying me to no end), one of our younger regulars came in to pick up a couple of his orders. Now this would be nothing to write about, but this customer has dreadlocks, and has for quite awhile. The male part of the white trash couple turned around and saw this guy and started gushing, and going on about the dreads to the customer. At one point he just blurted out "Can I touch it?". Now I'm cool with people having curiosity, but something like this is akin to going up to a pregnant woman and asking to rub her stomach. It is just something you don't do! Needless to say, I was relieved when WTC left the store, but their arrival had set the stage for the rest of the day.

I'm still a bit tense, but I'm hoping the Rotting Christ I am now listening to will help.

Oh yeah Happy New Year and such all!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home