Friday, July 25, 2008

Excerpts of crazy suburban white trash

Last night I was working outdoors at an event run sponsored/run by the company I work for. We have a band play music until dusk, and then once the sun has disappeared we show a popular movie on a large outdoor screen. We get a fair turn out (especially last night) and it is all done for free. This year all we asked was that people bring donations for the local food bank.

I'm good at these events (all about modesty I am...) as I have perfected the art of mindless smiling chatter. At these events I embody the idea of a single dose friend-- I'm polite, cheerful, and can have a decent three-minute conversation and leave it like that. I don't linger, and I don't impose. Plus, I enjoy the change of scenery, so being outside for four hours is quite enjoyable to me, and it shows in my interactions with people.

For the most part I enjoy interacting with the people that come to these events. They are generally well-mannered and friendly, which always equates to a good repore. There are always a slim few that grate at my nerves and try my patience, and below I have documented some of those from last night.


Idiot #1

Woman picks up DVD case that has the DVD moving inside (usually just needs to be put back on the insert tabs)
Woman: *shakes case* It's moving
Daughter: *looks at her blankly*
Woman: *continues to shake it* That's not a good sign *continues shaking some more*
Me: *grabs the case, inspects DVD for possible damage caused, finds none. Returns the errant DVD to its secured home and places back in a box of DVDs* That happens sometimes
Woman *gives me a half-stink eye*

Idiot #2

Guy: Do you have _____________ (title I cannot remember) and __________ (same deal)?
Me: Not that I recall, but we have quite a few titles here, so it's not saying much that I don't recall
Guy: *stares blankly*: So you don't have it?
Me: Not that I remember, but feel free to look around
Guy: Well this title is hard to find. The one they show on TV every once in awhile, but the other never
Me: Oh *polite yet unconcerned look on my face*
Guy: *starts talking but I tune out/help real customers*


25 minutes later

Guy asking the owner of my store: Do you have (same titles as before)
Owner: I don't really know, she (gesturing to me) would know better
Guy: Well I already asked her, but I thought you might know
Me: *turn around and roll my eyes*
Owner: Sorry I don't

Those people aside, I have already started to have regulars at these events, some who have returned from last year, and surprisingly I remember. These are the ones I have in-depth conversations with about movies, plots, quality, the event, you name it. I like these people, and I will go out of my way to help them.

Some days it really is worth getting out of bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home