Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Wake me up, before you go go

I'm not the biggest fan of Myspace, nor do I particularly like the umpteen band friend requests. I remember reading once an interview with some newer band and they were being asked about how their popularity had something to do with their Myspace. The lead singer went on to discuss something about the over-ratedness of it all. This is not exactly my point today, butIwill get to it in good time. He more or less bitchslapped the reason his band is so popular, as I recall the band and their music was a colossal joke like most bands out there.

So tonight I'm signing in to Myspace, and on the front page there is the usual artist spotlight. More often than not it's a semi-well-known band or some indie POS. I generally glance and then click away. Tonight however there was something appalling that made me click: a link to a Nick Drake Myspace page. WHAT THE HELL? Maybe I'm just a prude or something (highly unlikely), but I'm of the impression that we should generally leave the dead be-don't exploit their deaths for money, and don't use them for future album sales. I'm not adverse to wearing say a shirt with their image on it, but I think the money made from that should be used towards something productive, but any who.

Myspace for musicians is meant to gather a following right? To get people to buy albums, come out to see the shows, to have a sense of fitting in in the modern music scene. What is the point of a deceased musician having a Myspace page? Can anyone tell me that? He sure as hell is not going to see/reap the rewards of new found popularity since he is my all accounts decomposing in a cemetary in England, I'll admit that Nick Drake gained a lot more notoriety after his death when he was cited as an influence on a slew of musicians in the 1970s onwards, but they weren't whoring him out to sell them some records since he didn't exactly have star-making cachet at this point. This is another rant altogether that I shall leave for a later date.

So I ask you this? What would Nick say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home