Sunday, April 08, 2007

If I Were Invisible

Another one of my study breaks... well this break is going to last a few hours as I have resigned myself to no more writing of my 4000 word max essay on food and religion this evening (already past the 25% mark, yay me), but rather I shall tackle it tomorrow on yet another day off, which oddly enough I'm thankful for (Thanks manager! No seriously, thanks. The rest I have gotten the past couple days has been really beneficial) despite the lack of making money. Coming up on a week of hell so to speak, I'll survive, I always do.

So I was on some website this morning whilst actively avoiding starting my paper, and on a side bar there was this rotating photo ad asking you which American Idol you hated the most, and I just sat there watching, and wondering " Why the hell is American Idol still on the air?" Is it just me, or was the winner of the first one, the only one to have a career? Clay Aiken is languishing in this magical land where sexual preference denial is normal, and his hair is befuddling to all.

I personally have never watched more than 10 minutes of the show as I do not watch television during the week, and only for 2 hours on weekends, but I do know the general albums sales of these "Idols, and it ain't pretty. Aiken ( I am well aware that he did not win) did well with his first album because it was aimed at the housewife set. I remember reading an interview with Clive Davis at the time of its release, and he noted the same thing. Aiken was not really meant to be an idol. But that is not my point at this time.

How profitable is this Idol mania? Clarkson is the only one out of the entire bunch that has actually made a decent career out of this (Jennifer Hudson doth not count as she did not win, yet at the Oscars she did. Probably some irony in that, but I'm not going into it). Ruben? His albums sell jack all. Fantasia? I'd laugh, but that's a waste of air. Bo Bice and that other girl... I forget her name, they'll make careers enough because they generally don't fall into the pop music category. What I'm trying to get at, half-heartedly I admit, is that the American Idol franchise seems to be ineffectual at actually creating music careers for people. With the exception of Clarkson and Aiken, they're all relative failures. Failures I say!!!

That's All

Reading: Madame Bovary
Watching: Pinky and the Brain V. 2
Listening to: Tristania

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home