Thursday, May 03, 2007

Oh Ship of Fools

Here I am again, procrastinating as always.

So I'm taking my sweet time getting started on my vacation projects. My storage unit is still awaiting sanding, and I think I will start priming the shelves tonight.I have yet to start my summer reading, which is a little disconcerting. Last year whence school ended, I dove right into the Harry Potter series. The only thing I have read so far is my Revolver, such a task I tells ya. One thing I have started however is my CD database.

I catalogue all the Cd's I own. Partially for insurance purposes, partially for my own curiosity as to how many I actually have. I started doing this about 3 years ago, and at first tried cataloguing everything as I acquired it. This was quickly abandoned, only picked up when I was bored or actually found myself having some free time. Now I have devised a system: At the end of my school year, I sit down in front of my laptop, and I start inputting an entire year's worth of accumulation. I started re-cataloguing last night, and I have input about 50 or so Cd's in the last hour. I reckon I have about another 30 left ( I hope.. If I buy 80+ a year, it must mean I have way too much expendable cash) I order them by Artist name, CD name, and year it was released. This is the first year however in which I have had to remove some titles from the list. As shocking as it may sound, I actually got rid of some Cd's.

This task is kind of cathartic. After 8 months of basically pushing my life to the brink, this task marks the beginning of my months of rest, and reorganizing my life. Something rewarding in that. What the task also does is allows me some time to reflect upon the past year. I can see the musical choices I somehow made over the previous 12 months, what I thought I would listen to, but ended up shoving the Cd to the back of my shelves. But I also get to remember the experiences I have had with this music. This is probably the best part of the job. I get to remember the first concert experiences with a particular artist. A discussion had about another. The choices are endless.

Here's a task I put upon anyone reading this: go through your Cd's, vinyl, cassettes, what have you. Think about what you have, and just remember.

Have a great evening!

Laura

Listening: Certain Shade of Green-Incubus
Reading: Madame Bovary
Watching: Third & Fourth Seasons of Dinosaurs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home