Monday, November 19, 2007

It's what makes the world go 'round

So contrary to popular belief, I do not in fact hate everything. I know that I can portray myself as being bitter and critical of everything, I do in fact love many things, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I cannot under good conscience admit to what I love. Perhaps I fear the gasps of horror, or the realization that I am in fact a huge loser, or maybe just maybe I like being critical.

Fortunately for many at my work, my geeky music loves often rear their scary heads. Now unlike a lot of people who merely say that they like a lot of different types of music, I do in fact actively like and have an opinion on nearly every type of music. My CD collection can attest to that, as can my music choice while in the store. I like to be eclectic.

At my place of employ, the staff are given relative freedom in the choice of ambient sound. The only restrictions are that it may not contain foul language, be comedy, death metal, musicals, (this rule was enacted because of the one time I put the original Broadway recording to Ragtime in the player), or Frank Zappa. Gangsta rap is usually highly discouraged as well. In general, I usually go with the flow of the already existing music upon my arrival at work, because I either cannot be bothered to find something more palatable, or I'm perfectly fine with what is playing. There are a couple of instances however where I will rip something out of the store player, namely being if it is Bjork, or any of a range of modern emo/pop-punk hybrids (seriously, what are record execs thinking? They can sell more records with shit like the Umbrella song). Lately I have been growing weary of classic jazz. Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Miles Davis, but only so much. And if I have to hear that new Smashing Pumpkins CD once more so help me.... (come on Corgan, you sound happy for Christ's sake). Needless to say, as of late I've been trying to mix it up.

When I choose music to listen to at work, I generally try and go for the most fun and nostalgic stuff I can think of. I'm so used to listening to the staples of our industry that I just want to break out and dance around the store. I remember I used to come in early and crank Usher's "Yeah Yeah" song and frolic around the store. If any of my co-workers are reading this... well now you know. I am not afraid to admit I'm a geek. I even appreciate when others put in something geeky, yet amusing. This weekend I put in an 80's singles collection, and the Spice Girls greatest hits, as well as Aqua. None of these I own, nor will I ever again, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of them at work. Anyone who argues that the Spice Girls are not even the slightest bit addictive can just rot in hell. All those customers who smile when their CD came on surely cannot be wrong.

So with me comes the expectation that I will generally put in something which will ultimately embarrass me in front of customers, but who cares? Music can make the day worth while, and in the end isn't that what is most important?

1 Comments:

Blogger onemadpianist said...

No Zappa? Well, that's just plain cruel.

I dig your style.

November 19, 2007 at 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home