Sunday, August 10, 2008

The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage

So Issac Hayes passed away yesterday, and all I could think of was " Wow.... At least Matt Stone and Trey Parker already came up with a clever way to write out the Chef character in South Park". With Bernie Mac's passing the first thing that came through my mouth was " Well there goes an Ocean's 14" (please for the love of all that is furry please let there not be another Ocean's movie. Let Clooney stick to political and dramatic roles. Thanks a bunch!)

I know it is kind of crass of me, but I really do not care when celebrities pass away. Maybe my interest in them jumped shark eons ago, but nothing about celebrities, musicians especially makes me want to cry when they pass away. Except Jim Henson, but I was 4, so my sorrow is belated. I have compassion for the families they leave behind, but the fact that they pass away really has no effect on me.

Did Courtney kill Kurt? Don't exactly know, and don't care! I kind of wish people would get closure from the situation already. A man who despised the level of fame and adulation that is still being given to him 14 years after his death would probably be furious and have become a hermit a la Howard Hughes were he still alive. As for Jim Morrison, the man had a drug problem, do you not think glorifying him ater death is just counterproductive a bit? Don't get me wrong, I love the Doors and all, but I take my singers with a dose of reality

I know Mama Cass did not die from that elusive ham sandwich, but if she had my love of porcine products would have sky-rocketed since their powers to wow me would have increased a minimum of ten-fold. But then again, I guess that is just me.

I seriously cannot understand why we get so worked up about actors and musicians and their lives (or the end of as the case may be). What are they doing in this day and age that warrants me to shed tears? I surely have never met them. Yes I like their music, but that is the music, not them. They have yet to change my life in such a profound way that I am distraught once they have left this rotating sphere.

I don't look forward the Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes movies that will now be playing on television in the coming days. Not that I particularly dislike either of their bodies of work, it's just I think honouring artists upon passing should be a bit more meaningful than an edited version of Shaft, or the Samuel L remake.

RIP though Bernie and Issac.

Nanu-Nanu



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

November 10, 2008 at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home