Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Super Freak

So I'm going to be a broken record once again, and say that I'm sitting here typing up yet another of my never ending papers. Not never ending in the sense that I have an infinity of papers in which to write, but rather it just seems like it is taking an inordinately infinite time to complete them. Today's task is a textual analysis on the gnostic Gospel of Thomas, for which I am more than half-way to the maximum word count. Go me! This blogging, however, is probably hindering any progress I should be making, but oh well.

So I'll set the record straight for whomever is reading this: I am a religions and cultures student. Not theology mind you, but simply religion and culture. I study a wide range of topics in regards to religion and culture. I am aiming to do my PhD in this field either concentrating on an aspect of music and religion, or focus on witchcraft religions. I used to by a psychology major, but realized that I did not want to have to spend my life treating other human beings as test-subjects of sorts, and frankly religion has always fascinated me. That being said, I am an atheist. This concept either confuses or amuses others. I find my atheism to give me a more level-headed look at religions, and I can better empathize with numerous issues and positions because my life and identity are not intertwined with any one religious position and culture. Sure it can be argued that I will never be able to completely represent a religion because I'm not in it, but hell George Bush represents the world's most powerful nation, but its not like he is truly in-tune with it.....

What I was actually going with that little mini-bio was, I always wonder what it is people view my tastes in music in light of my chosen academic field? Am I presumed to listen to religious music all the time? Is my atheism supposed to make me listen to Satanic music? Or does my academic inclinations really have no effect on how people presume my music tastes go? I really have no idea, but I guess I could do an empirical study, but well I've already frittered away enough time writing this, so perhaps another day.

I guess I should plunge back into ancient textual analysis. Yay. Pseudo-Jesus here I come!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home