Friday, November 23, 2007

Laura's Favourites... a new series

Dear Readers (yes plural, I see my stats logger, there are some regulars),

I have a confession. I'm hesitant to even come clean, but my generally good mood of the evening somehow compels me towards this baring of my musical soul, that and I felt maybe I should write again, even though my dire warning of not being able to a little while back. So here goes...

I love Elton John.

No seriously I do.

Usually one only admits this whilst under the influence of extremely potent spirits, or a great deal of pot, neither of which I have consumed in the past little while. But yes dear reader, I love that Candle-in-the-winding drama queen. I'm not ashamed of this fact, because in his heyday Elton was the shiznit. How many artists would go on stage and play piano dressed as Donald Duck (and no, Bjork's swan costume at the Academy Awards does not count)? That's right, he rocks. His partnership with Bernie Taupin has been genius is production for nearly 40 years, and they have yet to fail.

Maybe I have an affinity for clean sounding piano-rock, or maybe his limited vocal range, but whenever Tiny Dancer begins to play on my Iyiyi it makes me smile. I can generally do without much of the stuff he subjected us to during the 80s and 90s, but Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tops as one of my favourite albums of all time.

Tonight as I sit here working on a myriad of school assignments, Elton keeps popping up as my Iyiyi is on random (perhaps because i have nearly 20 different albums of his on the ipod). Just now as I type this "Out of Blue" came on. It makes me smile, and that is never a bad thing, right?

So I shall leave you now to question my sanity, for I have to dance around my room like an idiot.

I bid you adieu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home